Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Preface

Just over five years ago, I started blogging at Rick Sincere News and Thoughts.  My original intention was to use the blog as an archive of articles I had previously written.  Over time, however, that blog grew into an eclectic mix of politics, culture, video, photography, current affairs, humor, film and theatre reviews, reportage, and much more.

Gay Fairfax book review segment with Rick Sincere
Gay Fairfax books segment
I have been reviewing books since the early 1980s, in publications as diverse as The Washington Times, Strategic Review, The Metro Herald, the Arlington Catholic Herald, Millennium, South Africa International,  and the Journal of Civil Defense.  Before becoming editor-in-chief of terra nova at the International Freedom Foundation, I was its books editor. In the early 1990s, I reviewed books for a local TV magazine show, Gay Fairfax. Some of my book reviews have already been republished on my first blog, which served as a platform for original reviews, as well.

Many of my book reviews have never appeared in digital format.  I am hoping to use this new blog -- with the straightforward title of "Book Reviews by Rick Sincere" -- to make those reviews more readily accessible and also to publish reviews of new books that come across my desk.  Readers will forgive me, I hope, if the first several reviews appearing here are cross-posts from Rick Sincere News and Thoughts or articles that originally were published before 1990.

While I aim for this blog to deal exclusively in reviews of books, I may from time to time include interviews with authors, either in prose or video formats, or posts about the publishing industry.  I hope, however, to remain focused on the printed word on bound pages.

Comments and interaction by readers are always welcome.

No comments: